It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:27 pm
Guest Announcements

<^o^> Welcome to Panboard 2.3! <^o^>

You can experience the whole Panboard only by logging in so register, log in, introduce yourself to the rest of us and join the fun!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Guardian: Prologue (Mature, Violence, Character Death)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 pm 
Narrator
Narrator

This is my Pandect Olympics Fiction entry for 2012, and it comes with a whole bunch of warnings. There's smut in here (I'm sure you're all very surprised) but also violence, and a lot of people are going to die. Oh, and there's some foul language. I hope you'll still give it a read! But for those of you who're not up for it but want to read a bit so they'd be able to vote: chapter 1 is quite safe. Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote for your favourite fiction entry (Sage and Kor are in, too!).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prologue: Key

"Are you comfortable?"

"Quite. Stop fussing, Edgar, there's nothing more you can do for me and I'm content. Just sit with me for a while, all right?"

"I just... How will I manage without you?"

"You'll do fine, Edgar. Don't feel sorry for me, my life has been too long as it is. No Guardian is supposed to outlive his Protector by this much. Life hasn't been really worth it since Abel died, Edgar. I'm happy it's finally time."

"I know. But I'll still miss you like crazy, Ayubu."

"We've taught you everything you need to know. You'll be the best of us, yet. But the world is changing around us, Edgar. You can't just wear the key around your neck anymore, like I did, like Dromeous did. I know I don't have to tell you this anymore, but you have to keep it safe!"

"Don't worry, I know the perfect place. It'll be absolutely safe, Ayubu. The Library will remain closed forever. I won't fail you."

"I wouldn't dream of doubting you, my dear boy. You've always made us so proud."

"I wish we'd had more time."

"So do I. I hope you won't be alone too long, Edgar. Not just because we're best with our Protector by our side. But you weren't made to be by yourself."

"I'll manage. And he or she won't be long, you'll see. Didn't you always say we'd be drawn to each other? I'm sure I'll meet them soon. Don't worry about that."

"It's impossible not to worry about your child. Even when you know they are as capable as I know you are."

"Thank you, for everything."

"You don't have anything to thank me for, Edgar. I wouldn't have missed any of it for the world. But a thousand years is too long. And the last twenty of them have lasted two hundred years or longer. It's time it ended."

"Close your eyes, then, dear Ayubu. Time for one last dream about Abel."

"Good night, dearest Edgar. I'll see you when I wake up."

Edgar sat by Ayubu's bed until he'd breathed his final, easy, breath. Then he got up, slung his pack over his shoulder and walked outside. He didn't look around one last time, did not look back.

Once he was far enough out, he snapped his fingers and set fire to the place he'd called home for the past century.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]