It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 pm
Guest Announcements

<^o^> Welcome to Panboard 2.3! <^o^>

You can experience the whole Panboard only by logging in so register, log in, introduce yourself to the rest of us and join the fun!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Juliette Killer [Part Four]
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:50 am 
Pandevoted
Pandevoted

Part Four: The Juliette Killer
October 16, 1937

“But we could make it work.” His voice was desperate while he watched her green eyes regard him coolly, as if everything they had been never happened and everything they said to one another those nights was a lie.

“No we couldn’t.” She said staring right at him, hoping and praying her gaze said ‘this is the last straw’ and not ‘apologize and I’ll take you back.’ Oh how she wanted him to just apologize and promise never to do it again. But she’d heard the rumors, the other singers twittering behind their hands. She wasn’t the only one. “Daku it could never work between us. You’re Titus’s beck and call boy and that’s not what I want. I need a man that’s loyal to me!”

The words stung but he knew they were the truth. He was losing her, he couldn’t let that happen, he couldn’t let her go without telling her. “I love you Vanessa.”

“No Daks.” Her words were final. “You don’t love me. You’re just in love with the idea of me.”

Daku felt his heart explode in his chest. He wasn’t sure if it was because of how icy she was being towards him or if it was because deep down he knew her words were true.

+ + + + + +

December 2, 1937

“Hey Cleatus you got a visitor here!” The shout rang out over the ringing of telephones and tapping of telegrams in the precinct clear as day.

His head shot up from the scrawled notes he’d been mulling over the last few days. They were written in his illegible hand writing something that Noah had said repeatedly he could never decipher even if they brought in a professional. Standing next to the desk at the front of the building was Roselyn, she was staring right at him her dark brown eyes held a glare. It had been days since he’d told her about Vanessa’s death and truthfully he never expected to see the woman again. Cleatus couldn’t stop himself from staring back, as if her very presence was an illusion.

“Who’s that?” Noah’s voice drifted over him with a leering tone to it. “She looks pissed at you.”

Ignoring him, Cleatus shot up smoothing the tweed vest he had on while he made his way over to her. “Rose.” He greeted her, in a hushed tone glancing at the officer closest to them. “It’s good to see you. What are you doing here?”

“Do you have time for lunch?” She asked innocently enough, her smile didn’t quite reach her eyes and that was worrisome.

“Um, yes.” He said unsure of himself, he’d never been asked out to lunch by a woman before, usually it was the other way around. “Let me grab my jacket.” Quickly snatching his jacket and fedora off the makeshift desk he didn’t bother acknowledging Noah. Throwing the long wool coat on he guided Roselyn to the door while other officers looked at him with raised eyebrows and a few of the men in the room either looked like they wanted to shake his hand or knock him down to take his place.

“Rose what’s wrong?” He asked once they were outside the precinct. The streets were becoming slightly grimy with the winter months. Luckily, as he’d been told, there hadn’t been very much snow as of yet only a couple of feet dusted the tops of buildings and parks. Roselyn hailed a taxi on the street corner, when one immediately pulled up Cleatus groaned. How the hell was it that women managed to get a damn cab in this town and he never could. He slid into the seat after her and the driver took off like a bat out of hell. “Where are we going?”

“To lunch.” She said, her lips barely moving.

Cleatus stared at her, those soft pink lips. He hadn’t even thought about calling her a suspect until Noah had said something to him she certainly didn’t look like a suspect. But it wouldn’t have made sense since the murder of Vanessa was like all the others. Glancing out the window Cleatus noticed they were going to the East Village, close to where she lived and out of the way of the precinct.

He started thinking in the silence of the taxi, things certainly had changed in just a couple of days. The boys at the precinct were uncovering things about the victims that New York had failed to grasp. Turned out all of them had a new beau that they were madly in love with and were going to leave their current lifestyles, according to close friends and relatives, to be with this Romeo. None of these people had met the man but all said the women spoke highly of him. It was something Cleatus had missed back in London and it pissed him off.

The apartment buildings passed him by slowly. Shops with their signs reading open and the streets bare of people. Things were changing in Europe but you wouldn’t be able to tell here. Cleatus recalled everything bitterly about London. They’d said the threat of war was more important than catching a serial killer. Of course logic would say they were correct but Cleatus had a stake in this and he didn’t want to give it up. When he’d gone go New York after the first girl was found they’d called him crazy and said he was searching for ghosts. They admitted they were wrong after the second girl was found within a month.

‘Where the hell is she taking me?’ He thought glancing back at her, his eyes drifted down her leg, the dress she was wearing had slid nearly up to her thigh, exposing the length of her calf up to her knee. He could swear he felt his heart stop. ‘This woman is going to kill me I just know it.’

+ + + + + +

It had taken Roselyn two whole days to get up the nerve to go see Cleatus and she was taking a big risk coming to see him at the police station. Someone could have followed her but she doubted Titus would have someone do that what with her openly asking Daks to go with her to the gallery yesterday. It was good to take her mind off of things for a while.

Daks was good company even though he was a made man; especially at the gallery. She was surprised when he’d shown up at her door with two tickets in response. At first she thought he was flirting with her, after all he’d have to be crazy to do so what with Titus keeping a watchful eye on her at all times. Shockingly enough he knew the artists at the gallery and seemed intrigued by Dali but Ernst was the one that earned a little sarcastic wit from him. It was enough to take her mind off of Vanessa’s death, and strangely enough Daks seemed to be grieving too.

Sitting in the cab now she thought back to their conversation again. He’d seemed reserved to speak about Nessa and didn’t say much about her, she wondered if he’d be at the funeral today. She glanced over at Cleatus and held her breath, his steel gray eyes were staring at her scrutinizing, his gaze lingered down to her exposed knee. Hastily she covered it and swore she heard a disappointed grunt come from the man. How embarrassing.

“I hope you like Italian.” She said glancing over at him she wished she hadn’t once she saw his smirk.

“Oh you’re talking to me now?”

Roselyn pursed her lips together. “Don’t be so crass.” They lapsed into silence again, good lord she was going to go crazy before this was over. “How long have you been in the city?” She asked just in an attempt to make polite conversation.

“Not long. Less than a month.” His answer was clipped and defensive. “Why?”

“Curious is all.” She replied. “I’ve been here a little more than a year. Have you always lived in cities?”

“Is there a point to your questions Rose?” He shot back, his gray eyes turning into a glare.

“I’m just trying to make polite conversation Cleatus.” She snapped at him, her hands clutching her purse. The cab veered sharply to the left to avoid a pedestrian, it promptly threw an unbalanced Cleatus against Roselyn he landed in an undignified heap in her lap. The cab driver was too busy swearing in Italian at the pedestrian and shaking his fist to have noticed the pair in the back seat.

Cursing under his breath Cleatus pushed himself up and eye to eye with a startled Roselyn. Her breath hitched slightly when their eyes met, he was inches from her face for crying out loud. Quickly turning a lovely shade of pink she wet her lips nervously. “Could you get off of me please?” Her voice was barely a whisper when she saw Cleatus turn about five shades of red he scrambled off of her and back to his side of the cab. The taxi pulled over at the restaurant just in time to turn around and see the red faced couple in the back seats. Holding out his hand to Cleatus who threw a couple of bills at the man shuffling out of the taxi and holding the door open for Roselyn.

In the restaurant they sat silently looking at menus, it wasn’t a bad place really. Cleatus had only been to one other Italian restaurant before it had tacky decor, the tables were sticky and the places smelled like something between burnt cheese and body odor. It was enough to make him swear off of Italian for the rest of his life. Soft light filtered through the windows and the place had an overall warm feel to it compared to the dim and gray city outside the windows.

“What will it be for the couple today?” A short balding man came over in a real Italian accent not the usual fake one that Cleatus had encountered.

“Penne Putanesca please.” Roselyn answered handing him the menu.

Cleatus glanced down at it once more. Sweet Mother, it was all in Italian how the hell could she even read this? “Um, the same.” He handed him the menu while Roselyn asked for a pitcher of water with the meal since it was still early. Cleatus itched to light a cigarette while they sat in silence. The waiter returned offering a bottle of wine, hastily Cleatus recalled that it was barely noon. To his luck Roselyn declined saying something in Italian to the man who nodded in agreement with a hearty smile. “I didn’t know you spoke Italian.”

“I don’t.” She snapped back at him, biting her lip she looked anywhere but at Cleatus. “I have something that I wanted to talk to you about.”

Cleatus couldn’t help but roll his eyes. “Oh no and here I thought you’d dragged me half way across the city to just have a lunch date.”

The sarcasm he used seemed to put her at ease for about a millisecond before her chocolate brown eyes turned murderous. To say he was going to enjoy himself here was an understatement, after all he hadn’t met a fiery woman like Roselyn in a long time.

+ + + + + +

“Your lead was wrong by the way.” Eyes narrowed at the blue and white haired male behind the counter who didn’t seem the least bit concerned. “She is with the Shark and you had me chasing ghosts!” He shouted his hand banging down on the old oak counter.

Ruby eyes narrowed at him from behind the magnification spectacles, impatiently he pulled them off of his face and placed them on the counter beside the ring he’d been working on. “I’m a busy man Noah. I don’t have time to continue supplying you with information, let alone keep you on the pay roll if you start getting snappy. You know who won’t like it.”

There was a sneer on Noah’s face when he looked down at the slightly smaller man. “How do I know you’re not the one pulling the strings. That you’re not the Prince?” When the other began to openly laugh Noah’s brow began to twitch. “It’s not funny Edgar!”

“Yes it is.” The other said with mirth, turning back to the ring on the table. It needed to be finished by today, its buyer coming in to pick it up this afternoon. “If I was in charge I wouldn’t be working here anymore. I’d be somewhere far away from this city.” He paused thinking for a moment. “Brazil perhaps.” Glancing over at Noah’s put off face Edgar sighed heavily pushing away from the ring, it would have to wait a few more hours. “What do you want from me Noah?”

A predatory smile spread on the detectives face. “I think I should be... compensated.”

“And how should I do that then.”

He laughed under his breath, closing the distance between the two of them quickly. “I’m sure you can think of something, Frog.” The nickname rolled off his tongue just as quickly as the other closed the distance between them.

+ + + + + +

“You want me to keep you informed?” Cleatus gaped over their food at the woman across from him who was currently dabbing at her mouth delectably. “You. The one who claims that you’re not,” He glanced around him quickly leaning in and whispering. “Not involved with the Shark of the Shores?”

“I don’t see what this has to do about anything.” Roselyn snapped her eyes narrowing at him.

Cleatus couldn’t help the groan that escaped his throat. “I have a feeling that it has everything to do with it Rose.” She had repeatedly asked, told, demanded that he stop calling her by the nick name but it only made him want to call her by it more. He thought about it for a moment, Roselyn wanted him to keep her informed on what was going on in the investigation. ‘Could she be a real suspect?’ He glanced up at the chocolate brown eyes staring back at him. ‘I doubt it.’ Cleatus always had a knack for spotting shady people. But what would benefit him in this?

Roselyn watched Cleatus carefully. There was no way to tell if he would agree to keep her up to speed on things with the investigation or not. She saw a very scary, very sexy smile spread on his face before he leaned forward on the table. This did not bode well.

“Alright I will keep you up to speed. On one condition.”

Roselyns lips thinned into a single line. “Name it.”

“You have to have dinner with me, once a week and every time we have a break in the case.” Cleatus watched her eyes grow wide for a moment, and her lips disappear. He had her.

She couldn’t maintain eye contact for long, he was smarter than she gave him credit for. Cleatus knew she couldn’t refuse to hear news about her best friend’s death and how they were going to catch the one who did it. “Deal.” The word left her mouth in a whisper, looking back at Cleatus she saw satisfaction in his eyes. “But it has to be a secret. You can’t come to the club and meet me. I mean that. If Titus finds out.”

“I won’t.” He said with a laugh. “Believe me that’s the last place I will be going back to. So we have a deal then?” He held his hand out over the table.

Roselyn gawked at him. Reaching out and taking hold of his hand shaking it in agreement. “Just stop calling me Rose.” She added at the last second.

Cleatus laughed at her under his breath, letting go of her hand and going back to his plate of pasta. “Not a chance doll.”

Her face turned into a heavy frown. “Why not.”

“Cause.” He took a bite of the meal. “It’s far too much fun to rile you Rose.” He added a wink that made Roselyn begin gritting her teeth.

‘taco!’ Her mind exclaimed immediately returning to her meal while Cleatus began giving her the details of the case thus far.

+ + + + + +

He started laughing joyfully while he played with his new friend at the park. His mother was talking to someone in the distance but he was too busy to notice. Playfully he pushed at Kouros while they chased after a soccer ball in the grass kicking it into a high grass area. Rufus chased after it blue eyes shining at the prospect of having his new found friend show him more about how to play this game.

It lazily rolled to a stop next to something. As he came closer Rufus realized it was a person. “Come on Rufus!” Kouros shouted, jogging up behind him his breath coming out in white puffs in the chilled air. “It’s getting late and I’ll have to go home soon.” Kouros froze the second that he saw where the ball had landed, there was a woman lying on her side. She wasn’t moving. Rufus turned towards his friend slowly his blue eyes beginning to show tears, Kouros snatched his friends hand and pulled him into a run away from the body and right towards a police men wandering the park.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I desperately want to take a nap right now. I didn't go through and fix any major grammar screw ups yet. Sorry, it's also later than I anticipated. Had some time to finish it up today. Rufus and Kouros are only smaller bit parts, but they've made an appearance!

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Post subject: Re: The Juliette Killer [Part Four]
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:13 pm 
Narrator
Narrator

Thumbs up, definitely <3 I really like how you're portraying and incorporating everyone! Can't wait for more, the atmosphere is so pleasant, like a Poirot movie! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 pm 
Pandevoted
Pandevoted

I love it too <3
It's 11.35 pm here and I really need to sleep, but I wanted to read it, so I did ^^;;
And I didn't regret it, it was cute =)
And new victim *gasp* =O

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 am 
Pandevoted
Pandevoted

I lost my outline D=
So I'm kind of glad I left plot coupons in the story line as to where I was going. lol

I'm glad that you guys are liking it so much and that you staid up to read it Virgie <3
I didn't know who Poirot was so I had to look it up. lol Never read any Agatha Christie stuff or any murder mysteries before to boot. So I'm kind of writing blind, but going off of what I know from television and Cold Case shows mostly. How does the killer get away with it and all of that. Serial killers fascinate me the most I think cause they're very methodical in their madness every kill has a purpose or reason. Not just random. Hmm... writing about RosexCleatus right now makes me sad cause they're supposed to hate one another but still be mildly attracted to each other... :( So confusing....

All the hints and nudges for now

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:11 am 
Pandevoted

Definitely a thumbs up from me. :D I love the intro to part four! Daku and Vanessa? So unexpected and awesome. In particular I really liked the Noah and Edgar scene, Edgar is so sassy and I like how he "compensated" Noah. ^_~

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]