It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 am
Guest Announcements

<^o^> Welcome to Panboard 2.3! <^o^>

You can experience the whole Panboard only by logging in so register, log in, introduce yourself to the rest of us and join the fun!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [TPN HIATUS SPECIAL] SYM Debate: Rough Draft Forum?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 pm 
Narrator
Narrator

Speak Your Mind is the section where we post your concerns for debate. So remember to pm us if you have something that you want the Pandect Forum to discuss.

This particular SYM is a special edition posted during TPN's hiatus.

Recently the Panboard got labeled as the "rough draft forum" on pandectcomic.com, which raised some eyebrows in the Office after all the work the Editors have done to include print version related news in the Note. It seems all the members, mods included, were surprised to see this description for the forum since there is no mention on the forum itself of it being a forum only for the fans of the Comicgen version of Pandect. In fact, even the Pandectcomic website mentions that this is a forum for both versions of Pandect:

Pandect has had a fan forum for over a decade now and a lot has happened throughout the years. Pandect's lenghty hiatuses seem to have had an influence on the number of active fans and it's possible that this apparent segregation between comic versions splits the fandom into smaller blocks, which doesn't really benefit anyone. But what to do if the segregation isn't something we necessarily chose, but is pushed upon us?

It would be great to get to hear everyone's opinions on this little incident and Panboard's status within the fandom. Feel free to comment on anything related to this matter. Nothing is so sacred that it can't be brought into the discussion, as long as the discussion is kept civil and the comments are well argumented (as in, you shouldn't comment negatively on something/someone without providing arguments for your opinion).

1. Do you think the Panboard is a "rough draft forum"? Why or why not? Why it is possible for someone to think so?
2. How did it make you feel as a fan to see the forum being called a "rough draft forum"?
(You can also comment on other things related to the topic.)

When replying to the topic, remember the SYM rules: be respectful of all opinions and stay on topic. If anything is deemed to be inflammatory or blatantly off topic it may be deleted, so please keep this in mind.

Post subject: Re: [TPN HIATUS SPECIAL] SYM Debate: Rough Draft Forum?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:00 am 
Narrator
Narrator

If we are the rough draft forum, does that mean that there is another, official, forum? That seems to me the only reason to label us this way all of a sudden. Sure, we started out as a forum for what is now the rough draft, but most if not all of the (active) members have made the transition to reading both versions, I think? So unless she actually wants fans to start occupying a different space somewhere to fan in, I really see no valid reason for the sudden label.

Of course I can't reall speak on this matter, since I'm no longer in the actual fandom ^_^;

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:23 pm 
Narrator
Narrator

Sihaya wrote:
If we are the rough draft forum, does that mean that there is another, official, forum? That seems to me the only reason to label us this way all of a sudden. Sure, we started out as a forum for what is now the rough draft, but most if not all of the (active) members have made the transition to reading both versions, I think? So unless she actually wants fans to start occupying a different space somewhere to fan in, I really see no valid reason for the sudden label.

I don't know if it's Dina's or anyone else's intention to replace the forum with Disqus, especially since the forum and the chat have always coexisted, but I think the argument could be made that the Disqus comments have taken up the role that Recent Pages (an important part of the forum, but not the entire forum) used to have, though I would assume that's only because the Disqus section is right there below the new page while in order to find the link to the forum, you have to know what you're looking for and where. The forum is nearly invisible on pandectcomic.com, while it is very easy to spot in Comicgen. (And sadly, the forum wasn't mentioned anywhere on pandectcomic.com at first. It wasn't until I mentioned about it to Dina that it was added to the "Links" page.)

Find me and Miko in the The Kpop Thread.
Enjoy the fruits of my and Virgie's (and our Charepliers') work in the TPN forum.

AMAs 2011 and 2012 - People Pleaser. Thanks so much for this honor! <3

Spam5 4 lyfe, yo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 pm 
Gladiator Ace
Gladiator Ace

I had to take some time to try to think of how I was going to write it without making it too subjective, I must admit I found it a bit hard though.

I've long had a sense of feeling as if this forum have been left behind, abandoned, in favour of the new comic site and the mediums of communication Dina is using there (disquus, patreon etc.). Being labeled as a 'rough draft forum' when we've always been a PANDECT forum only intensified that feeling. I've always been a fan of the story and the characters, not the pencil and paper used to tell it. I now feel as though we, the fans she had from nearly the beginning in my case and from the start for so many of you, are no longer important and no longer considered a supportive part of the history the comic and its' fandom has had. If this forum is no longer a part of Pandect and its continuation in Dina's eyes, then what's the point of us continuing?

The original comic was put through a long hiatus during which the activity on the forum declined and we lost many of our members, most of it due to lack of new content to talk about and people losing interest (I mean, there's only so much we can say before a page or a topic's interest has run its' course). We have all done what we could in our own ways to keep the forum alive during both hiatuses (though this new one feels like an abandonment too, rather than a break), but it doesn't feel like being a part of the community is an importance to Dina anymore. Her last login was almost a year ago, and then only to get our opinion on the new comic site. In my recent communication with Dina regarding the promotion of the summer contest she thanked me for keeping the forum alive,

but I would have liked it if she could've helped us by checking in every now and then just to let us know how she was doing and how things were going with her. I think that would have helped keep interest and peoples' investment in the fandom up.

I've got more to say, but I think I'll leave it at that for now. I'm failing at keeping this objective.

Last edited by Ibelen on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 am 
Narrator
Narrator

I've never been on a Patreon, is there a platform for discussion there? If there is, she might be discounting the forum as a way of discouraging people from signing up here instead of on Patreon...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:47 am 
Gladiator Ace
Gladiator Ace

I've never used it or been a member either, so I can't say if there is or isn't a platform for discussion there. All I know is that it works in some ways like a kickstarter, but instead of supporting a project financially you support the author/artist and receive incentives/walkthroughs etc in return. I'm all for Dina reaching out for monetary support, it's hard to live off creative endeavors alone so I am in no way nixing her use of patreon.

I'm thinking that if she were to post little treats here (simple doodles, not the more elaborate things she is/might be posting on patreon) and participate a little in the community discussions and activities now and then, we might have had a few new members on this forum because nothing is a greater incentive for a new fan to join than the creator interacting with their readers.

(but we're just a link at the bottom of a page and hardly ever spoken of...)

Last edited by Ibelen on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:04 am 
Narrator
Narrator

Ibelen wrote:
I had to take some time to try to think of how I was going to write it without making it too subjective, I must admit I found it a bit hard though.
Are you me? XD Honestly, there's so much I wanna say but since all of this hits so close to home for me (and for most of us, really), it's really hard trying to think of something purely objective to say. Then again, the thread asks us to speak our minds, so I don't think it requires me or anyone else to be completely objective about it. :?
...I'll make a proper comment in this thread sometime soon, though. ^^

Find me and Miko in the The Kpop Thread.
Enjoy the fruits of my and Virgie's (and our Charepliers') work in the TPN forum.

AMAs 2011 and 2012 - People Pleaser. Thanks so much for this honor! <3

Spam5 4 lyfe, yo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 am 
Gladiator Ace
Gladiator Ace

maiju wrote:
Ibelen wrote:
Are you me? XD Honestly, there's so much I wanna say but since all of this hits so close to home for me (and for most of us, really), it's really hard trying to think of something purely objective to say. Then again, the thread asks us to speak our minds, so I don't think it requires me or anyone else to be completely objective about it. :?
...I'll make a proper comment in this thread sometime soon, though. ^^

Ha ha, maybe I am (note to self, check finnish vocabulary)! I tried to keep things civil as I didn't want to seem like an accusing nag, pointing fingers and assigning blame, everything in me screams for a rant though. XD

This whole situation rankles my feathers, and especially after I learned that a member who's no longer part of the fandom is the one hosting the forum and not Dina herself. A person is paying out of their pockets (with nothing given back in return) so that we can have a place to get together and talk and support all things Pandect, and we're no longer(?) considered fans of Pandect as a whole by the creator. That is one of the things that upset me the most.

Last edited by Ibelen on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 am 
Pandevoted
Pandevoted

My own grip is coming soon worry not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am 
Pandevoted
Pandevoted

I'm going to start by saying that I respect Dina as an artist and creator of Pandect. It's her brain child, their for she has all rights pertaining to the use, development and advertising of the comic. That being said, I'm going to be blunt. I'm tired of sugar coating, biting my tongue and standing by in silence when it comes to the way things are promoted and handled on the board and off. Seeing the Panforum labeled as "rough draft" is both disappointing and infuriating since we've been with Dina since the beginning and held on through the worst of hiatus's with nary a word from her. It's enough to make me want to scream and snarl in frustration.

Here's why. As a community we've tried our damnedest to hold this place together. We've glued, sealed cracks and re-pieced this place together with contests, fanfictions and seasonal activities while thee was ZERO word on if the comic as a whole would continue or not. We lost members, either though their loss of interest or developing adult lives, our numbers have dropped significantly. I can count the number of people I speak with through this forum on my hands alone. Now our beloved Pan Note is on hiatus due to inactivity and the board is being pushed to the back burner for real.

The reference to a rough draft version isn't all that new. It's happened before as I recall and we didn't like it then and none of us like it now. Though we're in small numbers it is an insult to our resolve to stick together and I personally take offence to it. It's fairly obvious to myself that those of us who remain active on the forum find a sense of peace, support and community here and we hold out open arms for others to join. The reference to being "rough draft" also implies, I feel, that none of us are supporters of the new/updated version of the story and it's progression through color pages. The last time Dina posted here for all to see it was about the new website and our feedback on it, which we gave.

Maybe the abandonment of this forum is our fault? When the new website went up we didn't fight much for a link to the forum, we just assumed it would go in and be promoted since in previous years this place was a haven for all things Pandect. But no link went in until it was mentioned by Maiju, and even then it's a rather hidden link and not widely publicized. Pandect itself is a small comic, though I'm not sure of the numbers anymore, there was roughly 200 active users on the 1.0 forum when I first joined as a sophomore in high school. It's hard to say how many people from those days are in the Patreon and Disquus lines of communication because things change and people's tastes change. Also this is the only place I can frequently view and get my news from about Pandect due to my own internet (in)capability. I'm not even going to get started on Patreon.

This may sound like a rant but I've thought long and hard about this. It's my honest feelings on the subject of being called "rough draft" and the slow decline and death of the Panforum. You guys will always be my PanFamily.

Somethings gotta give here.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next